Studying Chinese

\o/ Lovely Autumn everyone (...and a darn rainy, too...)!

So the summer ended pretty quickly, and the school begun... again. Though I'm having now a trainée period in a local book store, and with luck I'll be graduating in the next month, yay. ...Totally useless school and shitty career choice, but oh well, now it's done - just in 1½ years.

I wanted to really challenge myself, and got myself to study Chinese FOR REAL. During the time in Shanghai I surely had a chance to learn some, but unfortunately my teachers wanted to 'civilize me' and taught me some Shanghainese (a fucked up city slang dialect), instead of Mandarin Chinese, so now it's time to grab the pull by it's horns and see the actual language much more deeper than before.
..
Oh boy.

For those who are ignorant, Chinese, Korean and Japanese are totally different languages. Well okay some of the kanjis in Japanese can have similarities in Chinese writings hanzi (like 女, 男), but the grammatics and spelling are walking totally different roads. And for a Finn, if you'd had to choose between Chinese or Japanese, go for Japanese - While Japanese is blessed by it's spelling similarities with Finnish, Chinese spelling is total wanker to us.

Here are my choices of ultimatum armament~



Zou ba! - study book

 


Very dry book. This one uses some 'very high intellectual grammatic termes' a hillbilly like me has some hard times to understand, and it also lacks of studies of hanzi. If you wish to buy the cd for this book, it costs some fuckin' 50€ or more, so... Oh, and it's more like for studying in a class, full of pair excercises, so I don't recomment this for self studying.

Voca



And because I want to learn hanzi too, I bought a wordbook! It's actually made for Koreans to study Western languages, but it works just fine this way too. ...And it was cheap.

Thousand words in Chinese - children's word book


Since I'm working in a book store, I found this from the children's section! It's great, and good for studying the words of basic life and environment. I wish I could scan and print the pages and actually put them on my wall, so I could watch them every day and change the page every week.

Last words...
I'm pretty bitter, that after so many attempts I still stuck in Finland, while so many other people seems to get chances to study in China/Taiwan so easily (...Facebook, I hate you...). Of course I'm happy for them, they get a chance to live, see and get hooked by China, but I... I want my share too...
But you know, "Work it, make it, do it, makes us, harder, better, faster, stronger". 

No comments :