新年快乐!

(Xīn nián kuài lè! Happy New Year! And apologies for the worst quality pics ever~)

 As a big fan of Chinese celebrations, I had to go and see the New Year's festival this year too. The last year I totally missed the parade, so this time I made sure I was there on time. 

The parade begun 13.30 at the Kolmen Sepän Aukio (Three Smiths Square, right in front of Stockmann).  
When I walk out of the door at Espoo I thought it would be wonderful weather - no snowing, no wind... But guess what - immediately when the bus passed Westend (the "borderline" between Espoo and Helsinki), the blizzard begun! Holy crap, it's been snowing like 6 days straight (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ Raah! There're no exceptions when it comes to Helsinki weather - it's always horrible! I stand behind these words!
Anyway.

I arrived to the square somewhat 13.15, and begun to stalk what kind of parade arrangements could be found. There were none. There were like 10 to 20 people around, looking like 'possibly attending to the parade', and a small booth offering some sort of a soup (the booth was wishing happiness and peace, from the muslims in Finland).




Now. BRING OUT THE DRAGONS!
And so the crowd grew - it was hilarious! The kids' faces were so happy "Oh the stories are real!!", and giggling of old grannies, some Chinese New Year greetings here and there... Ah, let's go!

...How depressing background.... Soviet Union, anyone?

The traffic in the centre was stopped for the parade - the dragons walked in the front of the parading mass, and the Chinese drums echoed at the narrow-ish streets of Kalevankatu and Annankatu (which are known as 'little China' of Finland, I heard. I guess it makes sense since there're so many Chinese restaurants around... but still... it's seriously nothing like the Chinatowns in big metropolis).
The parade stopped 3-4 times, for the lions - they were hungry for lettuce! The restaurants had put some lettuces in front of their doors, and the lions had to catch them.



...And there you go. My camera got short circuit 'cause the wet snow.
FML, I'll kick this to the sea once I get enough money to buy a damn.good.camera.

The parade continued to the Lasipalatsi Square, where dancers and erhu players gave performances, the restaurants had their own booths again (though I was a little disappointed Hang Zhou didn't show up this year) etc.
I bought a baozi, and some prawn chips bags and left satisfied. And apparently I caught cold/fever :D (I don't mind - I'm currently having a FFXII playthrough going on)~


 

No comments :